Posted 2 months ago
Our client, MAJID AL FUTTAIM CARREFOUR, is the largest franchisee of French giant retail group CARREFOUR, 2nd retailer across the world. The Middle East based group is currently operating more than 140 Hypermarkets and Supermarkets in 15 countries, with more than 25 000 employees from 70 nationalities. Our client is looking to fill the position of a Sustainability Manager.
The Sustainability Specialist/Manager will be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day implementation of Majid Al Futtaim (MAF) Retail’s sustainability strategy in the country operations (stores and head office). The sustainability strategy includes Net Positive Carbon and Water, Circular Economy (including single use plastic reduction / phase-out), and the Health and Wellness proposition to customers. Stakeholder management skills are key, as the candidate will need to liaise with all functions in the country (store operations, business development, HC, marketing & sourcing, omnichannel).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Net Positive Carbon & Water
- Ensuring that all new fit out developments in the country achieve a “5-Star” rating under Majid Al Futtaim’s Green Star Certification System
- Identify and ensure implementation of energy and water efficiency initiatives and renewable energy opportunities
- Ensure monthly collection and upload of the environmental data of all stores on the online data management system (SoFi), including maintaining data evidence (e.g. utility invoices)
- Implement the relevant initiatives of the MAF Circular Economy strategy including the strategy to reduce Food Waste by 50% by 2030
- Measure & record amount of operational waste generated in addition to the amount diverted from landfills (donated to charity, sent for recycling, etc.)
- Develop and track roadmap to phase-out single-use plastics by 2025
Health & Wellness
- Liaise with Operations and Marketing & Communications teams to organize customer-facing health & wellness activities aimed at increasing the awareness and consequently sales of health & wellness products
- Ensure adherence to sustainability-related policies by different functions (Employment Conditions, Health & Safety, Responsible Procurement, Sustainable Fit-Out)
Empowering Our People (HC)
- Work with HC to push our “Healthy Workplaces” agenda, ensuring a healthy and happy environment for our employees in offices and stores
- Ensure that all employees receive sustainability-related training covering global sustainability issues and our company-wide sustainability strategy
Communication and Awareness
- Regularly communicate sustainability updates to CORP HO Head of Sustainability including the monthly sustainability newsletter
- Maintain awareness of current legislation and market best practice relating to sustainability and environmental compliance, and compile / propose innovative ideas and solutions to be piloted and consequently rolled out
Human Capital Responsibilities
- Proactively identify and seek professional development opportunities to improve leadership and technical skills pertaining to the direct line of work
- Apply and follow MAF Retail’s Human Capital corporate policies and relevant procedures and instructions
- Provide training and feedback to direct reports when required
QUALIFICATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- A post-graduate degree in a sustainability or real estate related discipline e.g. environmental sciences, architecture, engineering
- Certified sustainability related professional e.g. LEED AP or WELL AP certified.
- Technical sustainability skills e.g. green buildings, carbon management, health and wellbeing
- Strong project management skills to manage program of work with internal and external partners
- Excellent communication skills in writing and in person to engage staff internally
- Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to prioritize workload
- 3yrs+ experience in a sustainability related role in a corporate organization or consultancy.
- Knowledge of the real estate industry and the built environment
- Retail experience is a plus
NB: Flexi Personnel does not charge candidates for job placement.