REPORTING TO: Country CEO
BUDGET: KES 150,000 – 200,000
Our client, a leading poultry producer in Africa’s Southern Hemisphere, is looking to grow their market within the Kenyan space.
As such, they are looking to have a competent and dedicated team to enable them to realize that vision. They are looking to hire a competent Hatchery Manager.
- The role of the Hatchery Manager is to oversee the Hatchery’s activities and ensure that all Hatchery KPIs are reached aligned with strategic corporate goals and within budget and that biosecurity is maintained.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsible for achieving budgeted number of saleable day-old chicks as per budget.
- Responsible for setting & executing the Hatchery annual budget.
- Implements bi-weekly egg settings as per instruction from Country and/Commercial Manager.
- Ensures continual and detailed record keeping of all production related metrics to optimize saleable product yield.
- Identifies, monitors & reports abnormal quality & mortality issues immediately to team members and line management.
- Keeps up to date with technical specifications from suppliers and global industry trends in hatchery technology.
- Works closely with Irvine’s Group specialists to share & implement best practices.
- Manages egg bank to maximize product yield.
- Maintains biosecurity by performing walkabouts and random checks.
Manages Hatchery costs to optimize EBITDA as per annual budget.
- Ensures budgeted cost per chick target is achieved.
- Ensures electricity, generator diesel and water are utilized as per the annual budget.
- Authorizes and signs all Hatchery requisitions in line with budget & SOPs.
- Identifies cost cutting measures & ensures implementation with the team.
- Ensures all the Hatchery’s premises and staff represent the company image and values.
Must identify and utilize data and analytics to drive effective decision making at all levels of the organization.
- Maintains and keep up to date relevant data bases.
- Ensures the quality and integrity of data.
- Understands and analyzes data to make effective decisions.
- Uses data to manage the day-to-day operations.
- Uses data to make strategic decisions.
Responsible for leading, managing & developing a high performing Hatchery team aligned with Company HR Policy, Values & Behaviors.
- Ensures that the whole team understands, applies & commits to the Company Values, Team Behaviors & Code of Conduct.
- Must be a role model for our values and behaviors.
- Manages by walkabouts, is action driven and leads by example.
- Ensures individual goals & KPI’s/targets are set for each team member aligned with company’s strategic goals.
- Drives the performance management process including performance reviews, coaching, training & disciplinary action to ensure optimal performance.
- Identifies training needs & supports career development opportunities within the team.
- Ensures the organization has the required manpower and skills to drive strategic goals.
- Ensures a succession plan is in place for all key positions.
- Drives a collaborative approach to problem solving.
- Effectively resolves any conflict in a professional, measured & timely manner.
- Drives company meetings process to ensure effective implementation of all agreed actions.
- In partnership with Kenya Exco and Group Exco, the Hatchery Manager will help create the right framework for staff to work according to the organization’s strategic objectives and nurture its philosophy, values and behaviors.
- Implements group best practice with the Hatchery team.
Ensures Hatchery team complies with company QA, SHE, GHPs (Good Hygiene Practice), GMPs (Good Management Practice) and all other company SOPs & deadlines.
- Reviews, updates & approves SOPs and Hatchery policies with designated team members, Internal Audit & QA.
- Ensures 100% compliance with SOPs.
- Follows up on all QA NC issues and closes case within reasonable timeframe.
- Ensures all company reporting deadlines are met.
- Ensure all animal welfare procedures are followed.
- Ensures all biosecurity procedures are followed.
Implements Company corporate risk controls & ensures compliance with legal & company requirements.
- Applies sound financial management principles including identifying financial risks and applying a mitigation plan.
- Holds ultimate responsibility to ensure that compliance with bio-security standards, policies and processes are met by all employees (and their family members), vendors, customers, visitors, and suppliers.
- Identifies any material risks to the business including any statutory and regulatory requirements and ensures compliance.
- Participates in all internal audit close-out meetings and advises on corrective action when needed.
Responsible for all maintenance, upkeep, security and general appearance of the Hatchery’s infrastructure, assets, equipment & stocks.
- Responsible for the efficient use & maintenance of all allocated assets including vehicles, office and facility premises & equipment.
- Responsible for the Hatchery’s power supply by ensuring constant monitoring and optimization is done by the Hatchery Electricians.
- Monitors the Hatchery’s water usage.
- Responsible for allocated stocks management including costing, security, storage, dispatch, re-order & expiration.
- Ensures all Hatchery staff represent the company image and values.
- In partnership with the Finance department, responsible for maintaining the Hatchery asset register including movements, disposals & additions.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
- Hatch Percentage with following KPIs within specifications:
- Hatch of Fertile
- Cull percentage
- Cost of day-old chick.
- Hatching cost per chick.
- Evidence of decision based on data.
- Completed all-team-member performance reviews.
- QA Audit Scores and corrective action.
- Internal Audit Scores and corrective action
- Checklist Score
EDUCATION QUALIFICATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, AND TRAITS
- Bachelor’s degree in animal science, animal husbandry, Poultry Science or equivalent.
- A postgraduate degree will be an added advantage.
- Experience in Commercial - FMCG specifically; Sales, Marketing, Route to Market, Merchandising and Logistics.
- Understanding the income statement and driving the profit number.
- Team Leadership: Relevant experience leading teams with a diverse level of capability and experience.
- Work Environment: Working in a structured and metric-based environment.
- Data-Driven Decision Making:
Proven ability and track record of using data to drive insights and inform effective decisions at all levels of the organization.
Proven ability and track record of understanding what drives company revenue, and how financial metrics provide insight as to how the company is performing, and what actions need to be taken to drive business growth.
Proven ability and track record leading authentically by putting others first through; active listening, acknowledging other perspectives, providing support to team members enabling them to meet both work and personal goals, involve team members in decisions where appropriate and building a sense of community. This is about having a practical / 'in the field’ approach to leading teams.
Proven ability and track record of Understanding and utilizing global economic, financial, and industry data to accurately diagnose business strengths and weaknesses, identify key issues, and develop strategies and plans that will work at both a strategic and operational level. Critical to our business is that this competency is then translated into tangible outputs that are understood by all levels within the organization.
Highly effective communication (English) both verbally (presenting to all levels) and in writing, with the ability to adjust style according to the population.
Capable of learning new things easily, taking on new concepts and implementing with the team.
Structured, documented, and detailed way of working ensuring that responsibilities are achieved within the agreed time frame.
Highest Ethical Standards and professional conduct are always displayed.
All applicants are advised to adhere to application guidelines for consideration. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
NB: Flexi Personnel does not charge candidates for job placement.