Head of Manufacturing
6 months ago
Role: Operational and Managerial
Salary Range: Confidential
Our client, a global leader in the Tea Industry within the region is looking for a Head of Manufacturing to join their dynamic team. The role will be based in Kericho and will oversee eight factories in Kenya.
The Head of Manufacturing is responsible for overseeing all aspects of production, Including planning and forecasting for production, asset care, efficiency improvement initiatives, delivery of quality & SHE and effective deployment of associated resources within a safe and secure environment. Underpinning this is the implementation of robust capability building for staff and embed a culture of sustained high performance.
- Lead factory operations/manufacturing activities to deliver manufacturing targets including service, costs, productivity, quality, innovation, and occupational safety, health & environment.
- Coordinate production planning to process all the available green leaf to the highest quality standards at the lowest cost through optimization of production resources including labour, energy, water etc.
- Ensure smooth day-to-day delivery of utilities (firewood, steam, water, and electricity) in the factory and villages.
Technology and Asset Care
- Propose, obtain the necessary approvals, and implement the necessary capital investment to meet the desired productivity, quality, safety, environmental and cost targets.
- Ensure that the technical standards of all manufacturing and non-manufacturing fixed assets are maintained to ensure high level of customer service and quality targets are achieved at optimal cost.
Safety, Health, Environment, RA
- Ensure compliance with the organization’s Safety, Health & Environment policy, framework standards, and occupational health and safety legislation in the factory.
- Ensure permits to work are issued in line with company SHE policies.
- Ensure standard operating procedures and specific work instructions are adhered to and reviewed regularly to ensure they remain up to date.
- Collaborate with the Quality Assurance team to ensure quality standards are achieved.
- Implement the Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP) system in the factory.
- Ensure incoming raw materials meet set quality standards.
- Ensure compliance of Food Safety Standards
- Co-ordinate and direct Quality Management in line with QA systems and GMP.
- Ensure the production of quality made tea is in line with customer/consumer specifications.
- Ensure hourly tea tasking is done and invoice tea samples are preserved.
- Ensure finished products are regularly inspected to ensure they meet established quality standards.
- Initiates and implement quality improvement plans and activities in the factory in liaison with the quality manager.
- Ensure accurate daily, weekly, and monthly production records and tea returns are maintained at all times.
- Control direct budgetary expenses through resource allocation and utilization in the factories.
- Monitor production key performance indicators of the factory; generate daily, weekly, and monthly reports.
- Manage the working capital efficiently to deliver production cost and inventory targets.
- Flag redundant/obsolete assets to the Procurement and Finance managers for disposal.
- Coordinate implementation of WCM to achieve world class standards through effective implementation of World Class.
- Implement Good Manufacturing Practices in all sections of manufacture in the production shifts.
- Oversee the implementation of the requirements of Rain Forest Alliance.
- Lead HR policy deployment and implementation on sites, including management of employee relations.
- Keep factory managers and workers engaged and motivated to continually achieve factory targets.
- Ensure that the factory teams achieve agreed work targets and standards and hold them accountable for the same.
- Develop the skills and competencies of direct reports and other factory employees through on-the-job training, coaching, and mentoring to improve their effectiveness.
- Ensure all statutory requirements including legislation, regulations, Union collective bargaining agreements, and the organization’s policies and standards are adhered to at all times.
- Communicates upwards/downwards/peers in the factory to ensure smooth flow of information.
- Implement agreed welfare programs and attend planned meetings ensuring completion of agreed actions.
- Keep abreast with all new technology covering tea making, market, packing, maintenance, transport, and energy usage and make proposals for implementation where appropriate.
- Develop and implement innovative strategies to improve factory performance.
- Ensure manufacturing trials are done and projects implemented as required from time to time.
- Collate and document innovative ideas for the factory and capture all improvement proposals from the shop floor.
- Implementation and follow-up on improvement ideas on the shop floor.
Education, Knowledge, And Experience
- B.Sc. Degree in Engineering, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or Food Technology.
- At least 10 years’ experience in food processing/production or engineering management role(s).
- Qualifications and experience in Quality/Food Safety, HSE management within a factory environment.
- Postgraduate qualifications in Business Administration or Management are desirable.
- Experience in leading and keeping large and diverse teams motivated and engaged.
- Ability to make decisions that have a technical and human component in high-pressure situations.
- Experience In working within a unionized environment and using negotiation and mediation skills as well as the ability to predict and anticipate situations that may lead to labor-related tensions and unrest and take actions to mitigate them.
- Understanding of World Class Manufacturing (WCM) methodology as well as Rainforest Alliance requirements and their application in the factory.
- Ability to manage the manufacturing budget to keep the cost of production within agreed targets.
NB: Flexi Personnel does not charge candidates for job placement.