Legal and Compliance Officer
Posted 5 months ago
Reporting to: Chief Administration & Operations Officer
Lewa Wildlife Conservancy (LEWA) is a not-for-profit organization, which works as a catalyst for the conservation of wildlife and its habitat. LWC does this through the protection and management of species, the initiation and support of community conservation and development programmes and the education of neighboring areas in the value of wildlife. More information about the organization can be found at www.lewa.org
JOB PURPOSE & SUMMARY
The ‘Legal and Compliance Officer’ is responsible for the efficient administration of the organization, specifically in ensuring compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements, policies, and standard operating procedures and taking the lead in legal / litigation matters.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Advising the organization on all legal matters that may arise in its operations.
- Develop and ensure the implementation of a compliance plan to ensure all aspects of the organization’s operations are in line with relevant regulations and statutory requirements.
- Keep abreast of local and global best practices with respect to compliance and risk management for the organization’s operations and make recommendations.
- Responsible for legal & regulatory compliance management, including monitoring and reporting on applicable statutes and regulations changes. Advise the LWC management and employees on changes to the laws affecting the organization.
- Responsible for contract management, drafting and reviewing the standard and specialized contracts, reviewing, and negotiating contracts, and ensuring such documents and third-party contracts are correctly and promptly executed.
- Support the CAOO in handling cases filed against the organization and preparation of legal reports and opinions.
- Liaising with external lawyers and the state law office on all cases filed against the organization to ensure instructions, witnesses, and statements are procured on time.
- Developing, implementing, and reviewing legal policies and procedures to ensure that they are in accordance with the existing legislation.
- Prepare legal opinions, advice, and reports on technical legal matters to the management, including reviewing legal documentation, management of legal due diligence and liaising with external counsel as required.
- Ensure LWC complies with legal and regulatory legislation. This includes licensing by the various government bodies – Meru County Revenue Board, Tourism Regulatory Authority.
LWC POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
- Management of the LWC policies and standard operating procedures – maintain a register and ensure timely review and updating.
- Ensure that the LWC policies and procedures are compliant with the Law.
- Support the HR department in handling the disciplinary procedures and reviewing all the disciplinary documents.
- Advise the LWC pension trustees on the implementation of the good governance policies.
- Spearhead and support HR in forming a gender committee and training the same.
- Support the Heads of departments in the training of LWC employees on policies and procedures.
- Ensure that LWC complies with the Data Protection Act:
- Licensing by the Office of the Data Commission
- Ensure that the organization processes the personal data of its staff, customers, providers, or any other individuals in compliance with the applicable data protection rules
- Ensure that employees and third parties the organization works with are informed of their data protection rights, obligations, and responsibilities
- Undertaking a Data Protection Impact Assessment for processing of sensitive subject data
- Create a register of the processing operations within the organization and ensure processing complies with the Data Protection Act
- Handle queries and complaints in reference to the Data Protection Act.
- Review of the organization Data Protection policy and privacy statement
- Review the organization’s ICT information security measures and ensure implementation by the ICT Administrator
- Promote a culture of data protection across the organization
- Liaise with external regulators and advisers such as lawyers, Office of the Data Commissioner, Tourism Regulatory Authority, Meru Revenue Board.
- Perform any other duties that may be delegated from time to time.
EDUCATION/KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Have a Bachelor of Laws (LL. B) degree from a recognized institution.
- Knowledge of the Companies Act, Industrial & Commercial law, wildlife management, employment laws, and data protection law
- Postgraduate Diploma in Law from Kenya School of Law.
- Admission to the Roll of Advocates of the High Court of Kenya.
- Be a member of the Law Society of Kenya (LSK)
- Fulfilled the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution.
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant work experience in the private sector
COMPETENCY AND TECHNICAL SKILLS
- Strong and effective communication skills.
- Detail-oriented and strong organization skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Sound judgement and discreetness where necessary.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Strong mediation skills.
Lewa Wildlife Conservancy is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
NB: Flexi Personnel does not charge candidates for job placement.