Regional Director, Africa
Posted 2 months ago
Client: BirdLife International
Department: Regional Secretariat BirdLife International
Location: Nairobi, Kenya (will consider other locations within the region)
Our client, BirdLife International is looking for a Regional Director for the African region to join their team.
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To lead and effectively manage the overall responsibilities and functions of BirdLife International’s Africa Partnership Secretariat based in Nairobi, especially by ensuring provision of effective support to the network of BirdLife partner organisations in the Africa Region; delivery of planned conservation work in line with the BirdLife strategy; facilitating fundraising for the Partnership, promoting joint initiatives and programmes and representing as appropriate, the BirdLife International Partnership in the region.
Strategic Planning, Organizational Management and Governance
- Provide strategic oversight and leadership in the development and implementation of the BirdLife programme in the Africa region.
- Provide strategic coordination for the BirdLife partners in Africa to continue to develop and implement an effective joint BirdLife programme of work in Africa.
- Effect a robust monitoring, evaluation and learning system to ensure that the BirdLife Africa Partnership can demonstrate impact and is responsive to changing conservation contexts and the needs of Partners.
- Co-ordinate and promote effective planning, collaboration, and information-sharing between BirdLife Partners and with the Secretariat.
- Work with and support the development and effective functioning of the Africa Regional Committee and the Council for the Africa Partnership.
- Provide Africa BirdLife Partners and secretariat input into the global strategy, programmes and policies of BirdLife International as part of the Senior Management Team.
- Build a strong Africa Secretariat team, including through effective staff management and motivation, to service the BirdLife Africa Partnership.
- Lead the annual cycle of development of the Africa Secretariat’s work plan, budget and reporting as part of the overall Secretariat planning mechanism.
- Work with Cambridge Operations team to ensure the smooth working of the Africa Secretariat’s legal, financial and administrative operations (including HR), ensuring that it is adequately staffed and properly financed.
- Supervise the execution of all Divisional appraisals and, working with HR team, ensure that effective HR procedures are available to staff and implemented as required.
- Exercise legal representative powers as delegated by the BirdLife CEO and ensure compliance with all statutory and separate legal entity responsibilities as required.
- Support the continuing development and ensure alignment of Africa Secretariat support to relevant BirdLife partners particularly in programme development and implementation, as needed.
- Ensure delivery of the BirdLife conservation strategy in the Africa region through the BirdLife Programmes as appropriately prioritized by the Secretariat and the Africa Regional Committee of partners.
- Coordinate the provision of appropriate support from the Africa Secretariat to specific conservation initiatives, campaigns and events at the global and regional level.
- Encourage Partners to take responsibility for specific initiatives, roles and delivery of parts of the Africa programmes, provide appropriate supervision and support and ensure good communications and reporting.
Network & Capacity Development
- Develop and extensively liaise with the BirdLife Africa Partnership, with special regard to promoting joint programmes, and the effective functioning of the BirdLife Partner to Partner Cooperation System.
- Co-ordinate the planning and take responsibility for the organization of BirdLife Regional Partnership Meetings and Conferences in collaboration with other members of the Africa Team and the Africa Partners.
- Guide and support development and implementation of Africa Partnership Network and Capacity Development Plans to consolidate, strengthen and expand the Africa Partnership and Africa Partners to continue to meet Partnership Criteria as approved by Council.
- Maintain efficient and productive working relationships with the Africa Regional Committee to oversee, monitor, guide and report on the BirdLife Africa Programme.
- Support Africa Partners to address NGO weaknesses identified in the Quality Assurance System and promote development and exchange of best practice, tools and skills in areas of strength.
Policy & Advocacy
- Ensure strategic scientific support is provided by the team to the Africa Regional Program and BirdLife Partners.
- Represent the BirdLife Partnership and Programme at the highest level to Africa based institutions and organisations.
- Promote BirdLife priorities to key decision makers and centers of influence in the Africa region and develop collaboration where appropriate.
- Develop strategic alliances with international conservation, development and/or research organisations, intergovernmental agencies and corporates for purposes of advancing the BirdLife mission in Africa.
Fundraising and Communications
- Liaise with donors and the Global Secretariat in order to adequately fund the Secretariat and the Partnership in implementing the Africa Programme.
- Ensure good relations are built and maintained with all donors through timely and effective delivery, reporting and communications.
- Develop and implement Communications and Fundraising plans in support of programme development and conservation delivery.
EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, AND EXPERIENCE
- Educated to post graduate degree level (preferably in a conservation related field), or equivalent experience.
- A degree/qualification or other background in conservation/environmental science and/or fundraising, or equivalent experience.
- Ability to explain complex, scientific/programmatic issues to different audiences.
- Ability to “sell” BirdLife International’s Programmes in order to raise funds and promote to possible partners.
- An understanding of, and commitment to, the development of biodiversity conservation and civil society.
- An international outlook with a working understanding of, and respect for different cultures.
- Demonstrable experience in programme development, management and fundraising in a conservation or development context.
- Knowledge of international conservation, environmental management and sustainable development in the Africa region.
- Fluent in English. Knowledge of other languages widely used in the region, particularly French will be an advantage.
- Experience of developing, coordinating and managing conservation and environmental programmes, together with working with partnerships, governments, intergovernmental organisations, NGOs and the private sector on policy and strategic planning issues, particularly within the region.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Strong leadership and people management skills.
- Good organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Able to organize own time and priorities, work with minimal supervision and work well under pressure.
- Good team-working ability.
- Good basic financial literacy (understanding budgets).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to draft documents and correspondence to the highest standards of presentation, accuracy and clarity.
- Tact and diplomacy in dealing with people and outside organisations at all levels.
- Professional and confident interpersonal skills.
- Facilitating teams and building partnerships in both developed and developing countries as well as negotiating effectively and building consensus.
- Willingness to travel overseas/away from home up to four weeks per year or more as needed and appropriate.
- Interest in international conservation and sustainable development
- Discretion with confidential correspondence and other matters.
- Able and willing to work flexibly to meet deadlines when circumstances require this.
- The ideal candidate will be good at organizing others where necessary and will be supportive to those working under pressure.
- They will be committed to international conservation and will have a positive “can do” attitude.
NB: Flexi Personnel does not charge candidates for job placement.